Delicious cake with cream, graham, apple and sweet apple spice! Best part--it's gluten AND dairy free! Make this simple cake in minutes and with only five ingredients!
What is Icebox Cake?
The icebox cake came about in the 1930's when iceboxes were being promoted in the United States as a new kitchen appliance. Icebox cakes are made a lot like a trifle. Layers of cookie are layered between beds of whipped cream, but the cookies are allowed to soften so they become more cake like in taste and texture.
Icebox cakes only require just a few ingredients:
- Cookies: Our recipe uses gluten free graham crackers
- Whipped Cream: Dairy free whipping cream is layered between each cracker.
- Apples: Simply top your whipped cream and graham crackers with some homemade or storebought apple pie filling.
- Cinnamon: Drizzle a little bit of cinnamon on top.
Storing an Icebox Cake
Once you've layered and prepped the cake, it will need to store for 10-12 hours to allow the cookies to soften. Icebox cakes usually last around 2-3 days. Icebox cakes also freeze well but most of the time icebox cakes are only refrigerated.
Apple Spice Icebox Cake (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 1 box gluten free graham crackers
- 1 tub dairy free frozen whipped cream
- 2 cups apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice
- In an 8x8 inch pan, layer a single layer of graham crackers. Generously top with thawed whipped topping. Place another layer of graham crackers followed by another layer of whipped topping on top., then another layer of graham crackers. Top the final layer of graham cracker with apple pie filling.
- Cover and place cake in the fridge for 8-12 hours before serving to allow the crackers to soften. Remove from fridge and top with additional whipped topping and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve.