Looking for a quick and easy freezer meal? A fun and tasty weeknight meal? Guess what, today's recipe is BOTH if you want it to be! Delicious rolled tortillas with zesty pepperjack, cream cheese and chicken filling. (Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free, soy free, FODMAP)
"la dieta cetogénica? oh, te refieres a la dieta taquito. Estoy bien con eso."--meme
Taquitos are one of life's great debates. Often hailed as Mexican food, taquitos are most likely to have originated in the United States. In fact, they are thought to have originated in San Diego by Ralph Pesqueria who owned a tortilla factory in the area. Customers would ask him for prepared food items and this was one of the items he came up with. He turned his tortilla factory into a restaurant and taquitos are still on the menu at his restaurant, El Indio.
I say, San Diego is close enough to Mexico and they taste good so let's stop debating and eat!
Taquitos are small rolled up tortillas with a filling usually made up of beef, chicken or pork and often includes cheese.
"Quiero unos taquitos!"
We love taquitos and can't wait to eat them so let's get started! The ingredient list is very simple for you and makes enough for a large crowd or enough to freeze! (But YES this recipe DOES use more than FIVE ingredients but we PROMISE it's WORTH it!)
All you need is:
- flour tortillas or gluten free flour tortillas (you can use corn but we find they don't roll as well and often split when baking)
- pepperjack cheese
- cream cheese
Looking for a dairy free and/or gluten free version of this recipe? It's simple with a few substitutions!
Looking for more great taco recipes? Try this taco dip with cream cheese
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 1/ 3 cup cream cheese (can substitute dairy free)
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder omit for FODMAP diet or substitute 1 tsp garlic scapes powder
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp sliced green onion tops only for FODMAP
- 2 cup grilled cooked chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup grated pepperjack cheese can substitute dairy free
- 12 whole flour or gluten free flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease or line a cookie sheet.
- Heat the cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir cream cheese until smooth. Add in the salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onion, cheese and chicken. Stir until combined.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave between damp paper towels for 15-20 seconds. Add 2-3 tbsp of the chicken mixture to the lower third of the tortilla, then roll the tortilla up.
- Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Continue making tortillas until completed.
- ***After tortillas are finished being rolled, you can place the rolled tortillas in an airtight freezer container to freeze for up to one month or you can bake the tortillas.
- Spray a light spray of cooking spray over the tops of the taquitos, then sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt if desired.
- Cook at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until taquitos are browned. Remove from oven and serve.
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites
Leave a Reply