Chocolate trail mix is a versatile snack that is perfect for you! Whether you're hiking, on-the-go, or simply craving a tasty treat, this delightful combination offers a burst of flavors and energy.
The Perfect Chocolate Trail Mix
Ten hours there. Ten hours back. I've driven the road from Salt Lake City to Southern California more times than I can count. But with three kids?
You need snacks. And movies. And books. And activities. And patience. Lot's and lot's of patience.
Patience doesn't last ten hours. But it would be nice if it did. Especially when one child has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the desert with no rest stop in sight for 100 miles.
This time around we brought some fun kid friendly chocolate trail mix. It can save the world. Or three grumpy kids from breaking out in war against each other in a car.
If you are needing some other quick on the go snacks or meals, try our peanut butter and jelly trail mix . Our pancake bites are the perfect on the go breakfast, and our pizza lunchable is the perfect on the go lunch.
This is a simple, versatile ingredient list that can be changed to your likes and preferences.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews
- Dried Fruits: Raisins, cranberries, apricots, cherries
- Seeds: Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- Carbs: Pretzels, bagel chips, cracker squares or Cheerios.
- Chocolate: Dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chunks, or chocolate-covered nuts
- Select Your Base Ingredients: Choose a variety of nuts, dried fruits, and seeds based on your preferences. Ensure they're unsalted and unflavored for the best mix.
- Prepare the Chocolate: If using chocolate-covered nuts, measure the amount needed. Otherwise, chop chocolate bars into small pieces to add to the mix.
- Mix in Your Favorite Ratio: Combine the nuts, dried fruits, seeds, and chocolate in a large bowl. The ratio depends on personal taste, but a balanced mix is typically 50% nuts, 30% dried fruits, 15% seeds, and 5% chocolate.
- Store in an Airtight Container: Transfer your chocolate trail mix to an airtight container or portion it into individual snack-sized bags for easy grab-and-go.
The chocolate in this mix isn’t just a delicious treat but also a source of antioxidants. It pairs beautifully with the nutritious components of the trail mix, providing a balance of energy and taste.
Customizing Your Mix
Experiment with various combinations of nuts, fruits, seeds, and chocolates to suit your taste preferences. Consider adding coconut flakes, using dark chocolate, or even a touch of sea salt for an extra twist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! You can substitute nuts with roasted chickpeas, soy nuts, or additional seeds for a nut-free option.
When stored in an airtight container, chocolate trail mix can stay fresh for up to two to three weeks. However, for optimal taste and texture, consume it within a week.
To retain freshness, store the mix in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. Portioning the mix into smaller containers helps maintain its freshness.
Certainly! White chocolate can add a unique sweetness to the mix. Consider using it sparingly as it tends to be sweeter than dark or milk chocolate.
Chocolate Trail Mix
- mason jar
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup nuts mixed, peanuts, sunflower, almonds, etc
- 2 cups chocolate chips or M&M's
- 1 cup peanut butter chips optional
- 1 cup pretzels
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients together.