Mmmm!!! These red velvet crinkle cookies with cake mix are a classic dessert with their pretty vibrant color, soft texture, and creamy center. Their crisp, crinkled edges make them the perfect dessert! And they're perfect if you don't have a lot of time in the kitchen! They are made with five ingredients!
This recipe utilizes the convenience of cake mix as a base, significantly simplifying the baking process while retaining the signature red velvet flavor and texture. It's perfect for holiday cookies or a Valentine's Day treat!
The ingredient list is simple but I would strongly suggest topping these cookies with some white chocolate buttercream frosting. It's amazing and I love the change from traditional cream cheese frosting.
You will need:
- A box of red velvet cake mix
- all purpose flour (or gluten free flour if using gluten free mix)
- vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil or melted butter, and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until just combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract (if using).
- In a separate bowl, place the powdered sugar. Scoop out rounded tablespoons of the dough.
- Place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between them.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are slightly firm and the centers are still soft.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for Perfect Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies:
- For extra-crinkled edges, use a fork to gently press down on the tops of the dough balls before baking.
- Don't overbake the cookies. They should be slightly soft in the center for optimal texture.
- Let the cookies cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.
These cookies are very simple and easy to make.
- Other cake mixes: I have lot's of different cake mixes you can make from scratch that substitute well in this recipe. There are also lot's of easy recipes like cake mix brownies and more!
- Gluten free: You can use a gluten free red velvet cake mix.
- Vegan: To make these cookies vegan, use a vegan egg replacer.
You can store these cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days at room temperature. They also store great in the freezer! Store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
Yes, you can experiment with other cake mix flavors like chocolate or vanilla. However, the crinkling effect may vary depending on the specific cake mix used.
Yes, you can use a gluten-free cake mix to make these cookies gluten-free.
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or even sprinkles for a custom touch.
Properly stored in an airtight container, these cookies will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days at room temperature.
Yes, you can freeze the baked and cooled cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies with Cake Mix
- Cookie sheet
- mixer optional
- Parchment paper optional
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 2 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour or gluten free flour if using gluten free mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then set aside
- In a mixer, mix together the cake mix, flour, eggs,oil and vanilla, stirring until smooth and combined.
- Roll one tablespoon of dough into a ball and drop onto cookie sheet, leaving several inches of space in between cookies.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie are browned and the cookies have a cracked appearance.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to the cooling rack.Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting