Create a charming sweet treat every monkey lover will love! Learn how to make and decorate an adorable monkey themed cake that'll bring life to your celebration.
Occasions For Making a Monkey Cake
She turned one, and with it my heart broke a little.
Her little feet now carry her a little ways before she reverts back to her crawling comfort zone. She's walking so much, she got her first pair of trainer shoes!
Since she is appropriately nicknamed "Monkey" we (meaning the kids and I) decided she would have a monkey birthday cake. The only problem is she says "eee, eee, eee" instead of "oooo, oooo, oooo" for a monkey sound, but she'll get it.
My oldest came up with the idea to use my Golden Oreo cupcake recipe and make a Golden Oreo cake.
Making Mod Monkey Cake
Looking for a fun and creative way to transform your cake into an adorable monkey-inspired design? From sculpting the perfect head shape to creating fur and shaping ears, you can bring life to any celebration with this delightful monkey cake!
By the end of our party, the cupcakes were gone and enjoyed by all. The littlest one of course wore most of hers, but that's to be expected. It's always fun finding the places they've been able to hide treats for later use. Ears, hair, even down the diaper!
Gather Supplies and Prepare Cake Batter
To get started, you'll need to gather a few supplies. In addition to the ingredients for your cake batter, you will also need some buttercream icing, graham cracker crumbs, and different colors of food coloring. Once all the necessary supplies are gathered together and prepped, prepare your cake batter according to the package instructions for making a round cake. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and bake your cake(s) until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cakes cool completely before decorating.
Bake Cakes, Assemble, and Frost
Start with two round cake layers and place one on a cake stand. Add a generous layer of buttercream frosting, then cut ears, and attach with frosting. Frost the entire cake to level it out and smooth the surface with an offset spatula. Use the graham cracker crumbs for ears and face using some more buttercream as glue. For fur, use buttercream. Finish off by adding eyes, nose, mouth, and any other decorations you may have.
Add Final Details to the Cake!
Once your monkey is all set on top of the cake, you’re ready to finish off the details. Use melted white or milk chocolate to add lines to the monkey’s muzzle and ears for the perfect finishing touch. You can also use pastel colored food coloring to tint buttercream icing and pipe on patterns for a furrier look! With this simple tutorial, you'll be creating an adorable monkey cake in no time!
- 2 8x8 inch round pans
- Cupcake pan
- 2 boxes yellow cake mix
- 1 package Golden Oreos
- 1 chocolate or buttercream frosting recipe doubled
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Mix and bake cake mixes according to package directions. Divide the batter in half and set aside.
- In a food processor, or in a ziploc bag, place one sleeve of Golden Oreo cookies in and pulse or crush with a rolling pin until coarse. Fold into the batter in the first bowl. Pour the batter into two greased 8x8 inch round cake pans. Bake according to package directions.
- Line the muffin pan with liners and grease. Pour one tablespoon of batter into each cupcake liner, then top with a Golden Oreo. Cover with additional batter until cupcakes are filled ⅔ of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow cake and muffins to cool completely before frosting.
- If using Golden Oreos with chocolate insides, use chocolate frosting.
- If using Golden Oreos with white insides, use buttercream frosting.