This easy and delicious recipe for ravioli with apple chicken sausage is perfect for a busy weeknight meal. It's made with just a few simple ingredients, but it's packed with flavor. The ravioli is cooked in a creamy apple chicken sausage sauce that is sure to please everyone.
Not only is this a popular weeknight meal, but it's also the perfect meal for fall!
Five Ingredient Ravioli with Apple Chicken Sausage
- baking pan
- cooking pan
- 1 package 18 ounces butternut squash ravioli, fresh or frozen
- 2 packages 10 ounces each frozen creamed spinach
- 1 package 12 ounces fully cooked apple chicken sausage links, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Cook your ravioli according to package directions. Drain. While the spinach is cooking, in a large skillet cook the sausage until browned on medium heat.
- Drain the ravioli then add the ravioli to the sausage mixture and add the spinach, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Heat thoroughly, then serve.
To create this flavorful dish, you'll need the following five ingredients:
- Butternut squash ravioli
- Apple chicken sausage
- Creamed spinach
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie spice
This recipe can also easily be adapted to be gluten free and dairy free.
Now, let's dive into how you can prepare this dish in just a few easy steps:
Ingredients for ravioli with apple chicken sausage include: creamed spinach, apple chicken sausage, creamed spinach, maple syrup and pumpkin spice
cook the butternut squash ravioli according to package directions
cook and cut your apple chicken sausage
toss ravioli in creamed spinach
Hint: The little bit of maple syrup and pumpkin spice add just a hint of fall flavor.
Step 1: Boil the Ravioli
Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the butternut squash ravioli and cook according to the package instructions until they float to the surface, indicating they are done. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Sauté the Sausage
Next, while the ravioli is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a touch of olive oil and slice the apple chicken sausage into rounds. Sauté the sausage until it's nicely browned and slightly crispy on the edges.
Step 4: Add Spinach and Spices
After the sausage is done cooking, add the ravioli to the sausage and toss with the creamed spinach and spices. Stir until combined. Serve.
Dairy free: To make this recipe dairy free, you'll need to substitute out the creamed spinach. You can use 2 cups of wilted spinach tossed with 1 cup of dairy free heavy whipping cream.
Gluten free: You can use gluten free butternut squash ravioli if needed.
This recipe is perfect as is but you can always add a little variation to your dish if you would like. Here are some ideas:
- Spicy - add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Fresh Herbs: Experiment with different herbs like thyme, rosemary, or oregano to infuse unique flavors.
- Be sure to not overcook the ravioli, or it will become mushy.
- Creamed spinach can be made by using 2 cups wilted spinach mixed with 1 cup heavy whipping cream.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave the leftovers in a microwave-safe dish until heated through.
Absolutely. While apple chicken sausage is recommended for its unique flavor, you can use other sausages like Italian, turkey, or even a plant-based option if you prefer.
You can make a vegetarian version of this dish by omitting the sausage (or using a plant based sausage) and adding more vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, or zucchini for a hearty, plant-based alternative.
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. Simply cook the recipe according to directions and then let it cool completely. To reheat, cook for 2-3 minutes until warmed.
Yes, you can use any type of ravioli you would like. Cheese ravioli substitutes the best in this recipe.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: