This simple and easy white bread recipe is ready in under an hour and so versatile--make rolls, pizza crusts and more!
Simplicity is something that many of us can use. While many of us long for homemade bread and butter, the time and commitment it takes can be daunting. I promise you that this easy White Bread Recipe is not.Jump to Recipe
Making An Easy White Bread Recipe
This simple white bread recipe is perfect for beginners and can be made in under an hour. With a few basic ingredients and some patience, you can have a delicious, fresh loaf of bread that's perfect for sandwiches, toast, or just snacking. Don't be intimidated by the bread-making process – with a little practice, you'll be making delicious bread in no time!
I've tried the thirty minute loaves, the no knead loaves, and even the no yeast loaves. None of them seemed to taste like the homemade bread I remember sinking my teeth into.
Literally. And it turns out every time.
It's your basic bread recipe, and it tastes delicious! It's a perfectly airy loaf of bread mixed with a light yeasty taste you've come to love in a loaf of bread. Spread some butter and jam on top and your loaf of bread is complete!
Tips for Making the Best White Bread
- Use Instant Yeast: Instant yeast, also known as rapid-rise yeast, is a type of yeast that doesn't require proofing before using. It can be added directly to the dry ingredients, making the bread-making process faster and easier.
- Use Warm Water: The water used in the recipe should be warm, but not too hot. If the water is too hot, it can kill the yeast, preventing the bread from rising properly.
- Knead the Dough: Kneading the dough helps to develop the gluten, which is essential for creating a light and airy loaf. You should knead the dough for at least 5-7 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Let the Dough Rise: After the dough has been shaped into a loaf, it needs to be allowed to rise for a short period of time. This helps the bread to rise properly in the oven, resulting in a light and fluffy loaf.
- Make Shallow Slashes: Making shallow slashes on top of the loaf before baking helps the bread to rise properly in the oven. It also gives the bread a nice, rustic look.
- Let the Bread Cool: After the bread has been baked, it should be allowed to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. This allows the bread to set and prevents it from becoming too moist.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Add the warm water and vegetable oil to the bowl and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 5-7 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf and place it on a greased baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to make a few shallow slashes on top of the loaf.
- Cover the loaf with a clean dish towel and let it rise for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake the bread in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
All-purpose flour is the best type of flour to use for this recipe.
No, you do not need a bread machine to make this recipe. You can mix the dough by hand or with a stand mixer.
The dough is ready to knead when it is a shaggy mass and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
The bread is done baking when it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you need to store it for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Here are some additional tips for making easy white bread in under an hour:
- Use warm water to activate the yeast.
- Do not over-knead the dough. Over-kneading will make the bread tough.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place. This will help the bread rise faster.
- Brush the top of the bread with milk before baking. This will give the bread a golden brown crust.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
The Best Bread Recipes:
Easy White Bread Recipe
- 5 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- 2 cups hot water
- In a mixer bowl with the dough hook attached, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and yeast for approximately one minute.
- Add the oil and water and continue stirring for one more minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl if necessary.
- Turn on mixer to low and mix for five minutes. The dough should be sticky after five minutes. If dough is not sticky, add water one teaspoon at a time, stirring just until dough becomes sticky, then turn off mixer immediately.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and knead a few times until the loaf has a smooth, even consistency.
- Place the loaves into two lightly greased bread pans or onto a lightly greased baking sheet as a shaped loaf.
- Cover with a towel, or a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm spot for 25 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Right before placing the loaves in the oven, slash the loaves several times with a knife, making a ¼ inch deep cut. (If using bread loaf pans, you do not need to do this).
- Bake loaves for 20-25 minutes or until loaves are golden brown.
Recipe adapted from La Fuji Mama. Photo from Canva.com