A recipe for classic lemon cake mix from scratch. Make this homemade lemon cake mix recipe now, enjoy it later!
I really like to eat healthier foods but sometimes I'm just tired. Really tired. Bone tired.
Life gets in the way and it can be tough to not resort to using a cake mix to save time and energy. I usually have a few healthier brands of cake mixes sitting in my cupboard for days I need something sweet but just don't have it in me to spend the time making it from scratch. Or you know, those nights you forgot you had to bring the Scout treats.
This homemade lemon cake mix recipe allows you to enjoy a rich, lemony flavored cake without the time commitements of having to make it from scratch. Simply make several of these ahead of time and store it for up to two months.
- 2 ¾ cup cake flour, or 2 ¾ cup gluten free flour-2 tbsp + 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cup superfine sugar (you can use raw cane sugar too. Simply place your sugar or cane sugar in a blender and blend until fine. Note: Do NOT use coconut sugar in this recipe. It will alter the taste).
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ¾ cup butter, softened or plain nonfat greek yogurt
- ¾ cup milk (substitutes okay)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Pour into a gallon sized bag.
- In another bowl, mix together the sugar and zest of two lemons. Place into a quart or sandwich sized bag.
- Place the smaller bag inside the larger bag and seal. Label and place into the freezer. Mix will freeze for up to two months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan or 2 8" round pans
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter or nonfat greek yogurt and the lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy. (If using nonfat greek yogurt, mix together the yogurt and sugar until just combined).
- Add the milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice to the bowl and continue mixing until combined. Add the flour mixture and continue stirring until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the 9x13 inch pan or the two 8" inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes for the 8" round pans or 25-30 minutes for the 9x13 inch pan.
Adapted from Live Strong
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness
Hi! I found you on the Idea Box Linkup Party. I love this idea of making cake mix ahead of time. I like to make from scratch too but don't have the time. This sounds delicious. I will have to try this.
What a great idea for making cake mix! This sounds really yummy as well! Thanks so much for linking up with Idea Box! Can't wait to see future links!
Make ahead anything is a favorite for me! Love the idea, thanks for sharing at Idea Box! Hope to see you for our next party 🙂
Is it 2 and 3/4 cups of regular flour plus 2 tablespoons of cornstarch are 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
Hi, if you are using regular flour (not cake flour which already has cornstarch in it), you would use 2 3/4 cup of that, take out 2 tbsp of flour and add 2 tbsp of cornstarch to the remaining flour. So only 2 tbsp cornstarch. This will yield a lighter, fluffier cake. Hope that helps, enjoy!
Made this cake for the July 4th celebration. I added a blueberry glaze to it and it was the best cake ever... the family loved it!!
So glad to hear your family loved it! That sounds delicious with a blueberry glaze!