Chili is a classic comfort food that brings a sense of coziness to any meal. This 5 ingredient chili is a flavorful dish that's both easy to prepare and tastes incredible!
This recipe is perfect for cold nights. It's a nice hearty meal with just the right amount of spices. It's also a great freezer meal to make for busy weeknights. Enjoy your chili with some biscuits and corn cookies!
This recipe is made as a simple chili recipe with ground beef. It can be made easily on the stove top. For this recipe you will need:
- chili seasoning mix
- ground beef
- petite diced tomatoes
- kidney or black beans
Step 1: Browning the Beef
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat until it's fully cooked and no longer pink. Drain any excess fat if necessary.
Step 2: Adding Onions and Chili Powder
- Add the diced onion to the pot with the cooked beef. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the chili powder, stirring well to coat the beef and onions evenly.
Step 3: Beans and Tomatoes
- Pour in the canned diced tomatoes and drained beans (kidney, black, or pinto beans). Stir the mixture thoroughly.
Step 4: Simmer and Season
- Bring the chili to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer uncovered for about 20-30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add salt and pepper to your preference.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
- Ladle the hot beef chili into bowls and garnish with toppings of your choice, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, or diced avocado.
Store your 5 ingredient beef chili in an airtight container in the fridge for several days. You can also freeze the chili in the freezer for up to one month.
A great variation for this recipe is changing it up by making some turkey chili.
This recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free but you can make it vegan by using meat substitute. Also make sure that your chili seasoning mix is gluten free.
You will need a large pot to make your chili. If you will be freezing your chili you will want to have some freezer bags and something to label your bag with.
Absolutely! Enhance the chili by adding minced garlic, bell peppers, or even a splash of broth.
Substitute the ground beef with plant-based alternatives like textured vegetable protein (TVP), lentils, or mixed vegetables for a vegetarian or vegan version.
While dried beans can be used, they require pre-soaking and longer cooking times. Canned beans provide convenience and significantly reduce the preparation time.
Absolutely! Allow the chili to cool completely before storing it in airtight containers or freezer bags. It freezes well and makes for a convenient meal prep option.
Yes, you can add some additional chili powder to your chili to make it spicier.
5 Ingredient Chili
- pot for cooking
- 1 packet chili seasoning mix
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can 15 oz kidney or black beans
- 1 cup beef broth optional
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula. Fry the beef, stirring occasionally, until it is no longer pink throughout. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned beef to a bowl or plate, leaving the fat behind in the pan. Alternatively, you can tilt the pan to one side and drain the excess fat into a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and return the pan to the stovetop. Add the chili seasoning mix and broth. stir it in until it coats the bottom of the pan and becomes fragrant.
- To the seasoned pan, add the diced tomatoes, drained beans and ground beef. Give it a good stir to incorporate everything and ensure the beans are evenly distributed.
- Let the chili simmer over medium-low heat until it is warmed through and all the flavors meld, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once the chili is warm, remove it from the heat and serve it immediately with your desired toppings.