Fresh baked hot and buttery gluten free drop biscuits filled with bits of honeycomb in every bite!
The Perfect Compliment
This recipe is just right as a side dish or stand alone breakfast treat. These hot and ready biscuits are done in about twenty minutes and don't require any rolling or cutting like traditional biscuits do. They have a traditional taste with a side of sweet and only require a few simple ingredients.
Light and Fluffy Drop Biscuits
I love that these biscuits have a really light and fluffy texture to them with a hint of sweet honey in every bite. The bits of honeycomb just gives an additional something to the recipe along with that hint of sweet and buttery taste common to a biscuit.
Hints and Tips
- You can use any gluten free flour blend that contains xanthum gum. We've used Bob's 1:1 and Cup 4 Cup in the past.
- The honeycomb isn't necessary but does add a bit of sweetness to the recipe. It's up to you if you want to use it or not but we highly recommend it.
- The biscuits can be easily stored in an airtight container for several days or frozen and thawed when ready to enjoy! Biscuits can be stored frozen for up to a month.
There are several substitutions you can use for dairy in this recipe. Dairy free butter can be substituted in place of dairy. Dairy free buttermilk can be substituted by using dairy free milk and one tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice.
The sugar in this recipe can be omitted or substituted with a lower calorie version as long as it is a 1:1 version. Meaning for every 1 teaspoon of white sugar you would use 1 teaspoon of the substitute.
You can easily substitute the cornstarch for arrowroot powder.
Gluten Free Honeycomb Drop Biscuits
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour blend
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Honeycomb & melted butter for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the butter, and mix until combined. Add in the buttermilk and stir just until combined.
- Drop two tablespoons of dough per biscuit onto the baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches between each biscuit. We use an ice cream scoop and roughly drop the dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Cut up small pieces of the honeycomb and lightly press several pieces into the top of the biscuit. Lightly flatten the top of each biscuit then brush each biscuit with melted butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees approximately 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve warm.