Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is a classic summertime favorite!
It's my favorite time of the year. Ice cream time. Every Sunday I have the kids we try a new ice cream flavor together. We've made some pretty fun flavors from traditional Oreo to this Peeps Oreo Ice Cream flavor.
While the kids get to have the milk laden favorite ice cream, I have to go for this gluten free dairy free chocolate chip cookie dough version. It's SO good!! And I love it with a gluten free sugar cone.
But today we are talking the good old deliciously creamy traditional chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. This ice cream has the traditional recipe blended with fresh chocolate chip cookie dough bites.
Today this recipe (and many other delicious ice cream recipes) are being featured as part of the Fantastical Food Fight. This month we're featuring ice cream! Keep scrolling to enjoy this recipe and others.
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk (do not use dairy free substitutions)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract, or 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and water, stirring until combined. Slowly pour in the flour and continue stirring until mixed well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into a log and freeze for 1-2 hours. When ready to mix into the ice cream, remove from freezer and cut into bite sized pieces. Place the pieces into the ice cream maker for 5-10 minutes to mix.
- In a saucepan set to low heat, place the egg yolks and sugar. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved (around 5-8 minutes). Remove from heat and set the bowl aside.
- While the egg yolks and sugar are cooking, in a small bowl, place ¼ cup of milk and cornstarch. Stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, place the remaining milk and cream. Stir to combine, then allow to sit until egg and sugar mixture is done. When sugar is dissolved, move egg mixture off the heat and allow to cool. Slide the large saucepan onto the burner and turn heat up to medium. Stir until milk becomes heated and tiny bubbles around the edges form. Remove from heat, than slowly whisk in the egg and sugar mixture, whisking until combined. Add in the cornstarch and milk and continue whisking until combined.
- Finally stir in the vanilla extract or vanilla beans.
- Place mixture in your ice cream container and churn according to your ice cream makers manufacturer directions. Add the cookie dough according to directions above. When done, place ice cream in a freezer safe container for several hours to firm or to store.
YUM.....just YUM....I have no other words.
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories
That sounds so rich and decadent! What a wonderful Sunday tradition!
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories
That sounds really decadent! What a fun tradition!
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
Can't stop drooling at the ice cream... combining my favorite things...
that's traditional to the T! I have not garnered the courage to make a traditional ice cream yet. This one has all the flavours that I love and the pics are also great!
Chocolate chip cookie dough is a family favorite here! I can't wait to try your recipe!
Sarah E. (@sjanee11)
Chocolate chip cookie dough is second only to mint chocolate chip ice cream and I haven't gotten around to making a homemade version yet! Gonna have to stash this recipe away 🙂
The pics are amazing. Drooling looking at them
What a great summer tradition.
I'm tempted to make ice creams with eggs as I never done that before. A very nice tradition. Ice cream looks very tempting.