A savory soup filled with sausage, cream, potatoes, and just the right amount of spices. Our allergy friendly variations allow you to enjoy this recipe with any substitution you might need to enjoy this recipe not only low FODMAP but also gluten free and dairy free without sacrificing the taste of the restaurant style you know and love.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Substitutions
What Gluten Free Substitutions are Needed For This Recipe?
What Dairy Free Substitutions Are Needed?
Is Zuppa Toscana Soup FODMAP Friendly?
What Pairs Well with Zuppa Toscana Soup?
- Under an Hour Gluten Free Breadsticks
- Under an Hour Gluten Breadsticks
- Pear Honeycomb Salad
- Balsamic Marinated Vegetables
Related FODMAP Recipes and Articles:
- Popular Diets Rated for FODMAP Friendliness
- Grilled Pepperjack Steak Grilled Cheese
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Crockpot Maple Dijon and Rice
Allergy Friendly Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices bacon, cut into bites sized pieces
- 1 large onion, diced (substitute green onion for FODMAP)
- ½-1 tablespoon minced garlic (substitute garlic scape powder for FODMAP)
- 65 ounces chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegan) This equates to 5 cans of 13 oz chicken broth or 2 32 oz cartons of chicken broth
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream (substitute dairy free whipping cream for dairy free or FODMAP friendly)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, stems removed
- In a pan set to medium high heat, cook the sausage and red pepper flakes until meat is no longer pink. Drain the meat and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook until bacon is crispy. Remove the bacon, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion and continue cooking until onion is tender. Once cooked, add the garlic powder, chicken broth, and potatoes to the mixture, cooking until the potatoes are tender (approximately 20 minutes).
- Once potatoes are fork tender, add in the cream, sausage and bacon and cooking until heated thoroughly.
- Add in the spinach right before serving.