Who doesn't love the sweet and spicy aroma of freshly baked cinnamon rolls? Imagine waking up to the smell of your own homemade cinnamon rolls, hot out of the oven. Not only are these treats a classic comfort food, but they are also perfect for impressing guests at brunch. And with this ultimate quick cinnamon roll recipe, you can whip up a batch of delicious rolls in no time. Whether you're a seasoned baker or a beginner, this recipe is easy to follow and the results are guaranteed to be a hit. So, grab your apron and get ready to create a mouth-watering brunch dish that will have everyone reaching for seconds.
Ingredients for the Quick Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Over the years I've learned that my family hates waiting for food in the morning. Especially when it comes to cinnamon rolls. So we have to make sure that these are done and ready as quick as possible.
We love this recipe because the dough is amazing. It's made with our under and hour bread dough and topped with a cream cheese or powdered sugar glaze. You can even do a healthier glaze too.
To make the ultimate quick cinnamon rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
- 5 ¼ cups bread flour (I LOVE this recipe because I have substituted unbleached all purpose flour and white whole wheat flour with great results).
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 stick butter, softened (can substitute non dairy if needed)
- ½-¾ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Quick Cinnamon Rolls
- In a mixer bowl with the dough hook attached, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and yeast for approximately one minute.
- Add the oil and water and continue stirring for one more minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl if necessary.
- Turn on mixer to low and mix for five minutes. The dough should form a soft, sticky ball after five minutes. If dough is not sticky, add water one teaspoon at a time, stirring just until dough becomes tacky, then turn off mixer immediately.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll out each piece of dough into a 9x12 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread a generous amount of butter. Note: you may not use all the butter. Just spread it to include the amount you want. You want a light layer of butter to cover the entire dough piece.
- Spread the butter in an even layer over the dough, then sprinkle generously and evenly with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough tightly (like a hot dog!) and then cut evenly into eight pieces.
- Place dough cut side down with several inches of space into a lightly greased pan. I usually use a large baking sheet or two different Pyrex dishes. Leave several inches of space between cinnamon rolls to allow for rising.
- Allow rolls to rise for 20 minutes. During the last ten minutes of rise time, begin preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake cinnamon rolls at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until centers are cooked.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and frost while warm.
To Make the Frosting:
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup milk (can substitute dairy free milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a bowl, mix together frosting materials until smooth. Frost cinnamon rolls with desired amount of frosting.
Tips for Perfecting the Quick Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Make sure your milk mixture is warm to the touch (between 120-130°F). If the mixture is too hot, it can kill the yeast.
- Kneading the dough for 5-10 minutes is important to develop the gluten in the dough, which will give your cinnamon rolls a nice chewy texture.
- When rolling out the dough, make sure to roll it out evenly to ensure that your cinnamon rolls bake evenly.
- When cutting the rolled dough into pieces, use a sharp knife or a piece of dental floss to avoid squishing the dough.
Serving Suggestions for Quick Cinnamon Rolls
These quick cinnamon rolls are perfect for a weekend brunch or a special occasion breakfast. Serve them warm with a cup of coffee or tea. For an extra special treat, top your cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting or a drizzle of maple syrup.
Variations on the Quick Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Looking to switch things up? Here are a few variations to try:
- Add chopped nuts (such as pecans or walnuts) to the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Swap out the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice for a seasonal twist.
- Top your cinnamon rolls with a cream cheese glaze instead of the traditional confectioner's sugar glaze.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Gluten Free Flour?
No, I don't recommend substituting gluten free flour for this recipe. I do have some other great recipes that are gluten free including our gluten free monkey bread, or gluten free croissant french toast.
Can I make quick cinnamon rolls ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the cinnamon rolls ahead of time and refrigerate them overnight. When ready to bake, simply remove them from the refrigerator and follow the baking instructions.
Can I freeze quick cinnamon rolls?
Absolutely! Quick cinnamon rolls can be frozen either before or after baking. If freezing before baking, assemble the rolls, cover tightly, and freeze. When ready to bake, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight, let them rise at room temperature, and then bake according to the recipe. If freezing after baking, allow the rolls to cool completely, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil and freeze. Thaw and reheat as desired.
How do I make the cinnamon rolls soft and gooey?
To achieve soft and gooey cinnamon rolls, make sure not to overbake them. Follow the recipe's recommended baking time and monitor the rolls closely to avoid drying them out. Additionally, brushing the rolls with melted butter immediately after they come out of the oven can help keep them soft and add extra moisture.
Can I make a smaller or larger batch of quick cinnamon rolls?
Yes, you can easily adjust the recipe to make a smaller or larger batch of quick cinnamon rolls. Simply halve or double the ingredients while keeping the proportions consistent. Remember to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Can I substitute ingredients in a quick cinnamon roll recipe?
In some cases, you can make substitutions based on personal preferences or dietary restrictions. For example, you might use a different sweetener instead of sugar. You can use alternative ingredients like plant-based milk, vegan butter,