Light and fluffy white whole wheat flour chocolate chip pancakes are delicious hot off the griddle or easily frozen and pulled out for a quick and easy breakfast.
It's Monday morning and the kids are home with me today. It's a great day to lounge around, watch cartoons and spend the morning in our PJ's. For me it means no kids to shuttle out the door early in the morning, no long list of after school activities to drive to. Just me and the kids.
Which means we're breaking out the griddle for some pancakes. Of course, I give them a huge list of pancake combinations we can try. Apple cinnamon, peach, pear walnut, strawberry....
I slipped in a little extra good stuff like whole wheat flour and yogurt. They had no idea and the pancakes still came out light and fluffy. They even freeze easy for quick meals on the go during the week.
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar (can substitute coconut sugar or other natural sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp nonfat plain greek yogurt, melted butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat griddle to medium heat (350 degrees).
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk, egg yolks, and yogurt, butter or coconut oil. Combine wet and dry ingredients together until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour approximately ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook until edges are just barely cooked and top of the pancake is bubbly. Flip the pancake and cook an additional minute or two. Remove from heat, place in warm oven to keep warm. Serve with syrup or whipped cream.
This recipe can easily be doubled. Extra pancakes can be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to one month.
Thanks for all those who have brought to our attention the disabled comments. We are currently in the process of moving our service to Servously. We are excited to try them out and look forward to the new changes ahead!
Jennie @ The diary of a real housewife
This saturday morning recipe for sure!!
I would love if you would share on my Friday Favorites linkup!
Yummy!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope you come back tomorrow and share some more stuff!! Pinned!!
Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com
These look delicious! We love pancakes and will have to make them for my family! Thanks SO much for sharing with us at our link party... would be thrilled to see you back tomorrow!