If you're looking for a quick and simple dinner with minimal ingredients this cheese and sausage stuffed French bread is the perfect recipe! The dish combines the crispy crust of a French baguette with a savory filling of creamy cheese, aromatic onions, flavorful sausage, Canadian bacon and parsley.
It's time to get started making this delicious and easy meal. All you need is:
- French bread (can be gluten free, regular or whole grain french bread)
- Cream cheese
- Diced yellow onions
- Sausage, crumbled or cut into bite sized pieces
- Canadian bacon
- Swiss or cheddar cheese slices (you can use a combination of both)
Making Your Cheese and Sausage Mixture
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Preparing the Filling: In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, diced onions, dried parsley and cooked sausage. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Preparing the Bread: Using a sharp knife, carefully hollow out the center of the French bread, leaving about a ½-inch thick shell.
- Assembling the Stuffed Bread: Arrange the Swiss or cheddar slices in the hollowed out area in an even layer, then top with a layer of Candadian bacon slices. Spoon the prepared filling into the hollowed-out French bread, ensuring even distribution. Top the filling with additional parsley or some grated cheese.
- Baking: Place the filled French bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bread is heated through and the filling is slightly golden brown.
- Serving: Remove the stuffed French bread from the oven and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This recipe is super simple to make for those with dietary needs or preferences.
- Gluten free: Substitute a gluten free French bread. Schar sells a gluten free baguette at most major grocery and health stores.
- Vegan: Use vegan sausage and omit the Canadian bacon.
- Dairy free: You will want to substitute dairy free cream cheese and dairy free cheese in this recipe.
- To enhance the flavor of the filling, sauté the onions until softened and lightly caramelized before adding them to the cheese mixture.
- For a richer flavor, use full-fat cream cheese.
- To add a touch of heat, incorporate a pinch of red pepper flakes into the filling.
- Serve the stuffed French bread warm with a side salad or fresh vegetables for a complete meal.
Your cheese and sausage stuffed French bread sandwiches should be served immediately, but you can have them for leftovers too. They should stay good for a couple of days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can also freeze them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
To reheat leftovers, wrap the stuffed French bread loosely in aluminum foil and place it in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.
This recipe is just perfect for enjoying during the Superbowl, or a quick and easy weeknight dinner all year long. If you love easy to make sandwiches, why not try our pesto provolone turkey sandwich? Or try a delicious cozy pear sandwich recipe! You could even try some delicious hot cocoa cookies to go with your sandwich!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can substitute Swiss cheese with other types of melty cheese, such as Monterey Jack, cheddar, or Colby Jack.
To reheat leftovers, wrap the stuffed French bread loosely in aluminum foil and place it in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Yes, you can freeze the stuffed French bread before baking. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking according to the instructions.
Yes, you can use a gluten-free French bread loaf to make this recipe suitable for gluten-free diets.
Cheese and Sausage Stuffed French Bread
- baking sheet
- aluminum foil
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup cooked sausage cut into bite sized pieces
- 20 slices Canadian bacon cooked
- 9 slices (5 ounces) Swiss or cheddar cheese
- Place French bread on a baking sheet. Cut out a center of the French bread to form a hollow center. Discard scrap.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sausage onions, and parsley. Stir until smooth.
- Arrange the Swiss or cheddar cheese slices along the bottom of the hollowed out French bread. Top with a layer of Canadian bacon slices.
- Top with the cheese and sausage mixture, then sprinkle with additional grated cheese and parsley if desired.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake the bread in tin foil for 15-20 minutes. Unwrap, let the bread set for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving