Saffron adds a beautiful yellow color to any meal with a delicious smoky flavor. This saffron chicken and rice recipe is done in under thirty minutes and provides a simple and easy weeknight meal with a few simple shortcuts and just 4 ingredients!
This meal is perfect for a cozy dinner at home or a special occasion. This dish combines tender chicken, aromatic spices, and fluffy rice for a truly memorable meal. If you love this dish you can use some of the leftovers to make this chicken mediterranean recipe. You can also serve this dish with some okra fries or for another fun traditional dish try this chicken biryani rice recipe!
There are only 4 ingredients you need to make this meal. You will need:
- chicken breasts
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- Zatarains yellow rice
- Additional saffron or tumeric for seasoning (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Start by cooking the rice according to the package directions. If you prefer, you can use a rice cooker for this step, ensuring perfectly cooked rice without any hassle.
While the rice is cooking, heat a pan over medium heat and place the chicken breasts in it. Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken until it browns on one side, then flip it over and stir the seasoning, onion, and pepper. Sprinkle additional spices as desired. Continue cooking until the chicken is browned and cooked through completely.
Once the chicken is cooked, serve it warm alongside the cooked rice.
This recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free but you can also make it for other dietary needs.
- Vegan/Vegetarian: Substitute plant based chicken breasts in place of the chicken.
You can use a rice cooker if you would like to make this recipe, but it's not necessary. You will need a pan for the chicken and another one for making the rice.
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. Reheat.
- Serve the saffron chicken and rice alongside a crisp green salad or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- Pair it with a side of creamy tzatziki sauce or garlic yogurt for added flavor.
- Accompany the dish with warm, crusty bread or naan
Other Uses for Saffron
Saffron tastes amazing with:
- Grains--rice and risottos are very popular
- Meat--chicken or pork recipes are most popular
- Stews and soups
Saffron is one of the most expensive seasonings in the world. (But for good reason, it's delicious!) Some health food stores may sell saffron in their bulk seasoning area so you can buy just what you need for a recipe. Indian stores also carry saffron for much less.
If you are unable to locate or purchase saffron, tumeric is the best substitute for saffron. It will also give your food a beautiful yellow color and has a similar smoky flavor.
Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts if you would like.
While the flavors of saffron chicken and rice are best when freshly cooked, you can prepare the dish in advance and reheat it gently on the stove or in the microwave before serving. Add a splash of chicken broth or water to loosen the rice if needed.
Yes, this saffron chicken and rice recipe is naturally gluten-free when made with gluten-free chicken broth and ingredients.
Saffron Chicken and Rice
- rice cooker optional
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ yellow onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 package Zatarains yellow rice
- Saffron or tumeric for seasoning optional
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- Begin to cook the rice according to package directions (we cook our's in the rice cooker).
- While the rice is cooking place the chicken breasts in a pan set on medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook chicken until browned on one side, then flip the chicken, stir the seasoning and onion and pepper and then sprinkle with additional spices. Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through thoroughly.
- Serve chicken warm with rice and salad if desired.