Saffron adds a beautiful yellow color to any meal with a delicious smoky flavor. This saffron chicken and rice recipe is done in under thirty minutes and provides a simple and easy weeknight meal with a few simple shortcuts.
Frequently Asked Question About Saffron
Inexpensive Ways To Buy Saffron
Saffron is one of the most expensive seasonings in the world. (But for good reason, it's delicious!) Some health food stores may sell saffron in their bulk seasoning area so you can buy just what you need for a recipe. Indian stores also carry saffron for much less.
Substitutes for Saffron
If you are unable to locate or purchase saffron, tumeric is the best substitute for saffron. It will also give your food a beautiful yellow color and has a similar smoky flavor.
Other Uses for Saffron
Saffron tastes amazing with:
- Grains--rice and risottos are very popular
- Meat--chicken or pork recipes are most popular
- Stews and soups
Saffron Chicken and Rice
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 package Zatarains yellow rice
- Additional saffron or tumeric for seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin to cook the rice according to package directions (we cook our's in the rice cooker since the stovetop method and I do not get along)
- While the rice is cooking place the chicken breasts in a pan set on medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken until browned on one side, then flip the chicken, stir the seasoning and onion and pepper and then sprinkle with additional spices. Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through thoroughly.
- Serve chicken warm with rice and salad if desired.