Traveling. Let's face it--- you love it, hate it or see it as a chore when you have food allergies.
Traveling With Food Allergies Can Be Made Easier With:
- Recipes you can make with hotel amenities like your coffee maker and hotel iron!
- No refrigeration travel meal ideas
- Five hacks for hotel travel with food allergies
- Food allergy friendly travel snacks
It All Started With The Cruise:
Last year we decided to go on a cruise. I was so excited that there would be gluten free and dairy free options for me. A personal chef came to our table the first night and talked through the menu with me. This was going to be a great vacation for me. No worries!
And then I found I would be eating the same fruit bowl every night for the next seven nights. That was the only dessert option for me. By night four my stomach was turning and when the waiter smiled at me at the end of the dinner and asked if I was ready for my fruit bowl, for the first time in my life I said "no, please!" I just wanted chocolate or even ice cream! Something!! The kids kept going to the all you could eat ice cream cone machine and coming back every night with these amazing themed desserts and I got...a fruit bowl. While I LOVE a good fruit bowl on a tropical vacation when it's the ONLY thing sweet you have available breakfast, lunch and dinner it ceases to be as appealing after...four days.
Other Travel Challenges:
When you have food allergies or specific dietary needs, eating while traveling can be difficult. Some of the challenges include:
- Finding places to eat that offer meals or foods that meet dietary needs
- Cruise buffets and restaurants, hotel buffets and other hotel restaurants may offer extremely limited food allergy options leaving you eating the same meals or foods while on vacation.
- Having to bring up questions and concerns about food allergies each meal.
- Trying to utilize apps and websites for food allergies that may or may not not be up to date.
Eating on the Road Can HURT!
There are so many times that vacations and trips just HURT! While I still might be eating what is dietarily okay, sometimes like that cruise where the only 'sweet' option I could have was fruit and I got a choice of the same three fruits everyday---let's just say it left my stomach hurting!!
Or it might be that I'm somewhere unfamiliar and my stomach just decides it's not happy about the jet lag or the change in meal times and decides to get angry with me. You just never know with food allergies!
Grab the Full Version!
The full version is available below with expanded tips and tricks for utilizing your hotel room while you travel! We even included some no refrigeration required travel meals, travel snack ideas and a bonus cookbook with recipe ideas for cooking with hotel amenity appliances! Hurry and click below to view!
Leave a Reply